Thursday 15 November 2012

Week 7 Reflections

Hi, Everyone.
This was my favorite week so far in this class.  We discussed one of my favorite buzzwords in teaching these days – learner autonomy.  After spending the entire fall semester of Professional Development workshops on learner autonomy and independent learning, I was glad to hear from my classmates in this course about how they try to incorporate autonomy into their classrooms.  It was also interesting to think of the connections between autonomy and a one-computer classroom.
We read the article by Thanasoulas which talked about the “radical change in the age-old distribution of power and authority that used to plague the traditional classroom”- mainly what learner autonomy is and how to foster autonomy in our students. What I liked most about this article was the concise list on page 2 about the main characteristics of autonomous learners (and how I see myself as an autonomous life-life learner):
1.        Those who know their learning style (for me, I am a strong kinesthetic type)
2.       Those who take an active approach to learner (I am active enough to see out classes like this)
3.       Those who are willing to take risks (like with language learning, trying to use the new language in different situations)
4.       Those who are good guessers (language teachers have to be good guessers in order to understand their teachers)
5.       Those who focus on content (as long as I accomplish my goal, I don’t focus on how I get there)
6.       Those who don’t use a lot of transfer in learning a new language (L1 transfer does not work well for me)
7.       Those who are tolerant to the new language (I at least try to be)
Thanasaoulas spoke of the role of motivation, which is the most important element of learner autonomy.  I recently did a paper on the main effects on intercultural communication, and I found that motivation, anxiety, self-esteem, culture and gender affect intercultural communication (ICC) the most.  However, among the five themes, motivation seems to have the strongest hold, not only with ICC but also with independent learning (IL).
I also like the think-aloud self reports which he wrote about.  This introspection gets to the heart of how learners feel while they are learning. I used this type of self-report in the form of Language Learning Histories in the ICC research I discussed above. 
I also liked the article we read by Richard Smith on Learner Autonomy Teacher Autonomy.  Smith stressed that teachers must be made autonomous in order for them to promote learner autonomy. I spoke about this trickle-down effect in my Nicenet post about how I encourage teacher autonomy for my faculty.  I also like how Smith questioned whether autonomy is applicable to all cultures – for example, Asian cultures, like where he worked in Japan. This is a key discussing in autonomy these days. Sheu talked about his experiences in Taiwan in relation to this cultural application of autonomy.  While I believe it is true that Asians may not have much autonomy in K-12, I think by university many teachers are making a movement to increase the awareness of the importance of learner autonomy.
I also enjoyed reading about 7 Categories of Classroom Computer Use, Strategies and Applications for the One Computer Classroom, and How to Thrive – not just survive – in a One-Computer Classroom. However, I found most of those articles to be outdated and not really applicable to young adults at the university level, where students are more familiar with technology than the teachers are!  These would offer more help to small children, in my opinion.  On the contrary, Deborah Healey’s Technology Tip was very helpful. I will post that on my class Moodle site for students to reference.  I also have bookmarked 25 Ways to Integrate the Internet.
As I mentioned on Nicenet, I am currently in the process of developing an Independent Learning Centre (ILC) at my college.  Because of the struggles of motivation for students to attend the ILC in their spare time, I wonder how to make a good ILC and to make it popular – a fun place where students can enjoy learning. I got some good tips from the readings this week, such as Creating a Computer Lab for English Language Teaching and Self Access.  I also picked up a good technology – a wallwisher.  


Here are some photos from the Macau Grand Prix which started today - one of the highlights of Macau. I skipped out on a half day at work to enjoy the qualifying races with my son! 

Hope that everyone is having a great week!

Evelyn

8 comments:

  1. Hi Evelyn,

    I knew this would be your favorite week when you mentioned in the early part of the course that the focus of your professional development workshops was on learner autonomy. It sounds like the materials provided this week shed some new light and insights into the topic.

    I love how you reflected on the list of the main characteristics of an autonomous learner and how it directly applies to you. I'm a kinesthetic learner myself!

    Great reflection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Courtney,

      Yes, you know many of my passions already! Sometimes, I feel so over-extended. There are so many areas of language learning that move me, such as learner autonomy, focus on form instruction, teachers' beliefs, action research, writing and grammar instruction, peer tutoring and writing centers, and (thanks to you) using technology in the classroom! It is hard for me to become an expert in one when I love so many topics! By the way, I am hoping to learn more about applying discourse analysis to the ESL classroom (like using concordances). I think this could be a whole semester's worth of instruction just in that one topic. Do you have any experts in that field in your program at the University of Oregon? Also, I heard that your school offers an on-campus summer school for teachers worldwide like us. I would be really interested in applying for that as well! As much as I love learning online, I prefer the traditional classroom still. (Sorry!)

      Thanks so much for your feedback like usual. I don't know where you find the time to get around to all of us!

      Take care!
      Evelyn

      Delete
  2. Dear Evelyn,
    I had a visit to your blog and went through your reflection on this week's topic and reference materials. The articles are very significant and relevant to the chosen topic,but the modern learners should be asked about their perspectives on "autonomy" and "responsibility". If we follow it, many of them would disappear from the classroom and many of our colleagues who are products of the old era and are hesitant to use technology and busy in delivering lectures will be jobless and sit at home being misfits in the changing educational system.In a country like India, the situation will be horrible and beyond imagination to cope with.You will be surprised to know that the students of technology such as M.Tech/M.Sc. IT are more engaged in language teaching web-skills than the students of English( Literature/ Language).Most of the seminars on communication skills are organised at the Engineering colleges/Technology Institutes than in universities where we have English departments.This is the recent development in the field of ELT. Hope you will reflect on it too.
    Sincerely,
    Mahesh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mahesh,

      You are right. We should consider the students' perspectives as well. I gave all 2500 students in my program a survey about independent learning/learner autonomy in September, so I am eager to learn what they have to say. The results are still being entered into Excel and then SPSS, so I don't have any results to share yet. However, I hope to find some interesting information and to be able to publish that in the spring or later after I finish my Professional Development series with my faculty. My research will consider three perspectives: students, teachers and then administration.

      Thanks for sharing!
      Evelyn

      Delete
  3. Hello Evelyn,

    I really loved reading your blog. I also loved the pictures of the Macau Grand Prix that you have posted. You have really summarized beautifully the learnings of the week.

    It is also good to know that you know your learner type, i.e. kinesthetic.

    All the best for the project and the coming week.

    Best wishes,

    Ashish Pande.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ashish,

      Thanks for your comment. The Grand Prix was fun!

      I think that the first step in language learning is identifying your learner type. I do an activity like this for all my students at the beginning of each semester. I use the information when I create my lesson plans as well.

      Hope you enjoyed this week's topic on autonomy. It was a great one!
      Evelyn

      Delete
  4. Dear Evelyn,

    I could sense your enthusiasm from the beginning of the week; I also think that you broke the record in posting on this week's discussion thread! So the timing of the Grand Prix in Macau is quite symbolic!
    I'm sure your son had a great time watching it; you are providing your children with extra-ordinary learning opportunities, aren't they lucky?
    We have a similar situation in our university; we too are in the process of starting a new language lab that is more high tech than the old one, so I gave the one in charge the link on computer labs suggested by Courtney ; I thought it would be useful also.

    Good luck on the report's first draft!

    Best,

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Paula!

      I must have ESP and knew that Nicenet was going to crash later in the week, so I posted very early!!!! Or like you said, I was trying to be a speed racer just like the Grand Prix! Actually, this is somewhat true. I had to attend a conference on Intercultural Communication in Wuhan, China on Friday-Sunday, so I was so busy trying to finish up before I left for the weekend. I presented some research that I did on "Intercultural Communication as Revealed in Language Learning Histories" and got some really great feedback. Several of the professors from Macquarie University (where I finished my doctorate degree) in Sydney were there so I got to see some of them as well! It was a very busy weekend!

      One of the funny things about the Grand Prix was that we were sitting on the stands near a curve, and many cars crashed there. People would get so excited when someone crashed! I wonder why it is in human nature to "enjoy" seeing people fail at times! So, even more than the car races, it was interesting to observe the people there.

      That's great that you are starting a new language lab. If the lab has new computers with helpful software, that would be great for your students. We are moving to a new campus next year, so we will be getting 5 new language labs with new equipment. Then, I will also have a space reserved solely for our "Independent Learning Centre." I am excited to see how that comes together, and also I am curious to try to find ways to encourage students to use the ILC too!

      Talk to you again in a few days.

      Delete